DOMS (Delayed Onset of Muscular Soreness)
We have all experienced those achy muscles after a good workout and an easy fix is the stuff of dreams, not straight forward I’m afraid. Your best defence is to up-regulate protein synthesis by having BCAAs before and after your workout followed by a soak in an Epsom salt (magnesium sulphate) bath immediately followed by a cold shower. BCAAs will aid quicker muscle repair and the magnesium in the bath will aid recovery and calm achy muscles.
Take regular Magnesium Glycinate for its calming effect on the brain and when an attack occurs immediately take Taurine, Vitamin B6 and Phenibut.*
Taurine blocks noradrenaline the precursor to adrenaline, the ‘main anxiety neurotransmitter’.
Vitamin B6 aids the conversion of glutamate to GABA ‘the calming neurotransmitter’.
Phenibut directly mimics GABA and can cause immediate relief.
Long term – weed out the ‘gremlins’, work out your triggers and get to the root cause of your anxiety, consider NLP, CBT or hypnotherapy. I can recommend Hypnosis Lincoln.
Here the fix depends on the cause and in my opinion there are multiple potential mechanisms of acne. Poor gut health and inflammation, an increase in IGF-1 (from consuming dairy), and hormone imbalances such as an increase in DHT – alpha
Cut gluten and dairy completely from your diet, take a good probiotic, consider supplementing with saw palmetto to block DHT – alpha production. Avoid putting too many chemicals on your skin, always go for natural based skincare.
Poor sleep or insomnia
Lack of good quality sleep can have a detrimental effect on your life, work and relationships. It is easy to get into a pattern and just accept ‘you don’t sleep well’, but this should not be the case.
Use a similar strategy to fixing anxiety, the key is to calm your nervous system by bedtime and if necessary reset your circadian rhythm. There are various options:
- Start with high dose Magnesium Glycinate to calm your body and mind
- Use Phenibut to further calm your brain at night if necessary
- Rub lavender oil on your pulse points & above your top lip at night to lower cortisol & stress
- Avoid all blue light emitting devices 90 minutes before bed, these include smartphones, tablets and laptops. Looking at these will lower production of the sleep hormone melatonin
- Consider taking 5 HTP, this will increase Serotonin which in turn converts to melatonin at night
Insulin resistance/ pre diabetes
This is easy but requires will power:
- Reduce your overall dietary carbohydrate intake from sugar, grains, potatoes and fruit.
- Only Consume your carb containing foods with your evening meal and after a workout.
- Supplement with magnesium, chromium, ALA and omega 3 fish oil.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on foods.
- Have a dessert spoon of apple cider vinegar before main meals
- Eat protein with every meal
- Sleep 8 hours a night
*Phenibut is not recommended for daily or long term use.